Work for Automatic, from anywhere. They are hiring for hundreds of open positions across more than 70 countries. This isn’t your typical work-from-home job. Learn more about their culture, their creed, and life as an Automattician.
Engineers at Automattic are responsible for the engines of Automattic: a variety of codebases and processes devoted to making the web a better place. With their varied backgrounds, our engineers collaborate with the other roles at Automattic to define, implement, and improve the experience those engines provide and enable.
Senior Software Engineer, WooCommerce (eCommerce)
What you’ll do
- Understand and have some experience in some parts of the eCommerce experience.
- Are interested in solving real problems that help people establish and operate businesses online.
- Have experience working on large-scale systems. Making them faster, more scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- Have demonstrated experience and interest in systems architecture.
- Are highly collaborative and love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, and/or design.
- Are knowledgeable about design patterns and testability; having experience with testing frameworks, performance and unit testing are very welcome.
- WordPress programming experience.
- Open-source contributions.
- Contributions to programs designed to help underrepresented people enter the tech field.
- Experience collecting and using data to help inform product decisions.
- Good user experience instincts and product design opinions.
For more information and to apply: https://automattic.com/work-with-us/job/senior-software-engineer-woocommerce-ecommerce/
Designers at Automattic are responsible for shepherding the experiences of our products. They listen, research, hypothesize, and deliver both product experiences as well as the stories they share about them\
What you’ll do
- Work independently and collaboratively on exceptional concepts, creative ideas, and visual design for marketing campaigns to promote our brands across various digital and traditional channels and mediums.
- Actively evolve and contribute to brand and marketing design systems, creative templates, and style guides to help our brand design team grow our skills and scale our practice.
- Work closely with the marketing and business teams on the development and validation of projects directly related to growing the business.
- Collaborate regularly with engineers and product designers to ship consistent, high-quality experiences across marketing and product.
- Manage and oversee project work with external creative contractors.
- Communicate and share often in written, verbal, and visual forms to create alignment and move the work towards implementation.
What they are looking for
- Extensive experience in brand and marketing creative design working on consumer brands or products in an agency or in-house environments.
- A design portfolio with examples of brand and web design work showing your keen eye for good design and attention to detail.
- Proactive attitude in leading big design changes and being comfortable to challenge the status quo.
- Ability to take projects from creation to final execution, managing and prioritizing multiple projects with various stakeholders.
- Strategic problem-solving skills and a capacity to switch between creative storytelling and systems thinking.
- Experience creating or working with existing illustrations is a plus.
- A genuine interest and familiarity with some of our products and the open-source community.
- Familiarity with remote work (or excitement to try it!).
For more information and to apply: https://automattic.com/work-with-us/job/brand-creative-designer/
Business Development and Marketing
Members of the business development & marketing teams are opportunity seekers. They’re always looking toward the horizon, searching for new ways to climb higher and tell stories that resonate.
Business Development, Senior Manager (Tumblr)
What you’ll do
- Identify, negotiate and close deals with new revenue-generating and ad tech partners, including SSPs, DSPs, and video distribution/content creation studios.
- Lead and optimize relationships with existing partners, including leading QBR’s/monthly working sessions, assisting with revenue forecasting, and problem-solving with product and engineering teams to resolve issues.
- Continually balance revenue upside, user experience, and engineering lift to maximize overall return on investment.
- Understand the ins/outs of all revenue streams/partnerships from a technical and data perspective, monitor and report on critical metrics including revenue, impressions, fill rates, eCPMs, and users feedback, and provide data-driven recommendations to evaluate current and new revenue opportunities.
- Manage programmatic ad policies in partnership with Brand Partnerships, Legal, and Trust & Safety.
- Be the go-to person on relevant business trends, best practices, and emerging technologies.
- Work cross-functionally with teams across Tumblr and Automattic.
What they are looking for:
- 5-8 years of experience negotiating, building, and maintaining revenue-generating partnerships, at least four of which have been in social media, digital media, and/or programmatic advertising.
- A strong understanding of contract terms and an ability to negotiate the business issues while balancing risks/upside.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to examine opportunities and assess trade-offs.
- Familiarity with and understanding of the current social media ecosystem and Tumblr’s, and its communities’, place in that ecosystem.
- Self-starter with the flexibility to wear multiple hats and the capacity to manage multiple projects simultaneously while balancing the details and the big picture.
- An effective cross-team collaborator, able to prioritize feedback from a variety of stakeholders.
- An understanding of b2b marketing and how to utilize it to achieve revenue goals is a plus.
- Excitement to join a globally distributed team! Familiarity with remote work is welcome.
- An emerging leader who is humble, hungry, and has excellent judgment!
For more information and to apply: https://automattic.com/work-with-us/job/business-development-senior-manager-tumblr/
At the end of the day, Automattic makes products for people. And while every position at Automattic involves helping people, no one does it better than our Happiness Engineers.
In general, a typical day involves:
- Being an active member of a global team that provides 24/7 support via live chat, tickets, forums, and one-on-one screen share sessions.
- Helping people use Automattic’s products, including WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Tumblr, and more.
- Troubleshooting, investigating, and creating detailed bug reports.
- Building a community of support by sharing knowledge and helping team members around the world.
Being a Happiness Engineer requires:
- Familiarity with WordPress, HTML, and CSS, along with a strong support philosophy.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, with a knack for taking technical language and making it understandable.
- A passion for solving tough problems and proposing elegant solutions.
- An ability to learn and adapt so that you can help teach others.
- Patience, grace, and a sense of humor.
For more information and to apply:
People, Legal, and Finance
Having the freedom to focus can be a hard thing to come by. But there are those of us that have a passion for providing that freedom to others. They’re experienced, knowledgeable, and can wrangle with the best of them.
About the Role
Automattic’s Talent Operations team is at the forefront of bringing the best people into Automattic. If you’ve been a recruiting coordinator, talent specialist, HR specialist, virtual assistant, or executive assistant—you’re likely used to connecting with candidates over email or various platforms (Slack, Greenhouse, LinkedIn), enjoy calendar management, and have a great aptitude for keeping track of lots of details. If so, they’d love to hear from you!
In this role, you’ll be responsible for ensuring that candidates are scheduled for interviews and assessments, alongside other recruiting-related administrative tasks such as enabling Slack/Zoom access and uploading interview transcripts. You’ll play a key part in ensuring that candidates have a positive experience throughout their interactions with the Talent Ops team and with hiring managers across Automattic. You’ll also be empowered to initiate and lead projects to extend our recruiting strategies or optimize internal processes—they love and encourage innovation!
You have very strong and highly refined attention to detail. You are proud of being nitpicky and take pride in a job well done, down to the smallest detail. You have experience coordinating a high volume of candidates and helping to manage the end-to-end process for recruiting alongside senior recruiters, sourcers, interviewers, and hiring managers. You understand the importance of making sure every candidate in every stage has the best experience possible and understand how fast, efficient, and clearly communicated coordination throughout the process impacts that.
- Kind, courteous, and a highly effective communicator. Here’s what we expect from ourselves.
- Experienced as a recruiting coordinator, talent specialist, HR specialist, or another relevant role.
- Someone who cares deeply about building a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Highly attentive to the details of scheduling and managing processes.
- Effective working over text, video, and other tools of remote work culture.
- Effective in conducting routine and repetitive tasks, while looking to improve ways of working to optimize time spent doing tasks.
- Technologically savvy—you’re able to pick up on new technologies, software, and systems easily.
- Experienced managing multiple priorities simultaneously.
- A candidate experience advocate, ensuring candidates think fondly of the time they spent in any hiring process, even if we don’t end up hiring them.
- Someone starting off their career in Talent Acquisition who is interested in seeing what it means to build a business through recruiting.
- You are passionate about technology and how it’s built, and being part of the team that attracts and hires the best talent for Automattic and its products.
- A strong and creative sourcer, or are interested in upskilling in this area later down the track.
- Experience working in a distributed and global team.
For more information and to apply: